In this week's recipe, green olives work with cinnamon and ginger to create a robust chicken saute.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 lbs leg-thigh pieces cut in two, excess fat removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced ginger
- 1 1-inch cinnamon stick, or 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 1/2 cups green olives, drained, pitted
- Lemon juice to taste
- Chopped cilantro leaves for garnish
- Put oil in deep skillet or casserole. Turn heat to medium-high and wait a minute, until oil is hot. Add chicken, skin-side down, and brown it well, rotating and turning pieces as necessary and sprinkling with salt and pepper as they cook; 10 to 15 minutes total. Turn heat to medium, remove chicken and pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat.
- Add onion, ginger, cinnamon, garlic, cumin, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon or more of pepper and some salt and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until onion softens. Add stock and raise heat to medium-high; return chicken to pan, skin-side up. Cook at a lively simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add olives and continue to cook until chicken is done, another 10 to 15 minutes or so. Add lemon juice, then taste and adjust seasoning. Garnish and serve.